Create mouth-watering tacos or chilli con carne in an instant with this homemade beef or chicken taco seasoning recipe. It's simple, full of flavour, and can save you so much money compared to shop-bought versions. Try it today!
Making your own chicken taco seasoning ensures you control the ingredients, so it's preservative-free and suits your taste perfectly.
It's incredibly convenient – just mix the spices together, and you're ready to season your protein of choice. If you have some plain, pre-cooked chicken to hand, simply re-heat the chicken in a frying pan with a little water and coat with the seasoning for an instant hit of flavour.
This seasoning adds a burst of Mexican-inspired flavours to your dishes, making mealtime exciting. Keep reading to find out how to make it yourself!
- Smoked Paprika: Adds a mild, smoky flavour.
- Cumin: Provides earthy, nutty notes essential for taco seasoning.
- Cayenne Pepper: Adds a hint of heat; adjust to your spice preference. The recipe provided is for a mild taco seasoning, however, you can adjust the heat to your preference.
- Dried Oregano: My herb of choice.
- Onion Powder: An essential flavour component for taco seasoning!
- Garlic Powder: Enhances with its aromatic and mild taste.
- Cacao Powder: A unique twist for richness; trust me on this one; it won't taste like chocolate!
- Salt (Optional): I recommend NOT adding salt to your seasoning and adding salt to the final dish instead so that the seasoning is more versatile, but if you want to have it pre-seasoned you can also add salt it in.
See recipe card for quantities.
1. In a bowl, combine 1 teaspoon each of paprika, smoked paprika, ground cumin, dried oregano and onion powder, and ½ teaspoon each of garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
2. Incorporate 1 tablespoon of raw unsweetened cacao powder - trust me on this one! Thoroughly mix all the ingredients until evenly combined.
The above recipe makes the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning which is enough to coat 500g protein. This in turn serves 4-6 people. You can easily make a larger batch of seasoning by multiplying the quantities equally.
If you make up a larger batch of seasoning, portion out 3 tablespoons of seasoning per 500g protein.
Hint: If desired, add ¼ teaspoon salt for seasoning. Adjust the salt to your preference or dietary requirements.
Chili Powder: You can use chili powder instead of cayenne pepper, however, the flavour will change slightly.
Spicy Kick: The recipe specified will result in a mild level of spice. For an extra kick of heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or increase the quantity of cayenne.
If stored correctly, your homemade beef or chicken taco seasoning could last from 6 months - 1 year. Store your homemade chicken taco seasoning in an airtight glass container in a cool, dry place. For longer storage, consider the freezer.
✨ Top Tip
Make a larger batch of this seasoning so that you can add to a wide variety of dishes saving you time and hassle.
Here are my top two recipes that you can use this for:
🍽️ Speedy Recipes Using Homemade Taco Seasoning
Taco Seasoned Ground Beef
- In a frying pan, brown 500g ground beef for 5-10 minutes. No added oil is required as the fat from the meat will do the trick.
- Add 3 tablespoons of your homemade seasoning plus 1 tablespoon of tomato purée, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and a little water to deglaze the pan and prevent sticking. Stir well to coat and fry for a final couple of minutes.
- Add your seasoned ground beef to tacos, nachos or salads.
Super Speedy Chilli Con Carne
- In a frying pan, fry one chopped onion and two cloves of minced garlic until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add 500g ground beef and brown the meat. Add one chopped bell pepper, one chopped courgette and a can or jar of rinsed and drained kidney beans.
- Season with 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, 1 tablespoon of tomato puree and ¼ teaspoon salt and stir well.
- Pour a 400g jar or can of chopped tomatoes over the beef and vegetables plus ½ of the can refilled with water (approx 200ml). Mix well. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve your speedy chilli con carne with your grain of choice and enjoy!
Absolutely! It works wonderfully with chicken, beef, pork, tofu or even as a seasoning for roasted vegetables.
Cacao powder is less processed and retains more nutrients, but you can use unsweetened cocoa powder as a substitute.
Here are some dishes to serve with this Homemade Beef or Chicken Taco Seasoning:
Homemade Beef or Chicken Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon raw unsweetened cacao powder
- In a bowl, combine 1 teaspoon each of paprika, smoked paprika, ground cumin, dried oregano, and onion powder, and ½ teaspoon each of garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Incorporate 1 tablespoon of raw unsweetened cacao powder.
- If desired, add ¼ teaspoon of salt for seasoning. Adjust the salt to your preference or dietary requirements.
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients until evenly combined.
- Store in an airtight glass container in a cool dark place for 6 months to 1 year.