Indulge in the goodness of a low-carb breakfast with our Coconut Quinoa Porridge. Discover why quinoa is an excellent alternative to oatmeal, perfect for a candida diet or any low-carb regimen.
Enjoy a flavourful, satisfying morning meal that's ideal for meal prepping. Try our easy recipe today!
Quinoa makes a fabulous alternative to oats in the morning, but if you'd prefer to stick to regular oatmeal, give this sugar free coconut and chia seed oatmeal recipe a try instead!
🥣 Quinoa vs Oatmeal
When it comes to choosing a nutritious and low-carb breakfast, quinoa stands out as a fantastic alternative to oatmeal. Here's why:
- Low Carb and High Protein: Quinoa is lower in carbs and higher in protein compared to traditional oatmeal, making it an excellent choice for those following a candida diet or seeking a low-carb option.
- Rich in Nutrients: Quinoa is a nutrient powerhouse, providing essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It's a great way to kickstart your day with a nutrient-dense breakfast.
- Gluten-Free and Versatile: Quinoa is naturally gluten-free, making it suitable for those with gluten sensitivities. Additionally, its neutral flavour allows for versatile flavour combinations, perfect for customizing your breakfast experience.
- Raw Quinoa: A high-protein, low-carb grain that serves as the base for our porridge.
- Coconut Milk: Adds a rich, creamy texture and a delightful coconut flavor. Opt for coconut milk that does not contain any added emulsifiers, oils or sugars.
- Vanilla Powder or Extract: Enhances the overall sweetness and aroma of the porridge. Note that ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla powder is the equivalent to 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
- Ground Sweet Cinnamon: Adds a warm and comforting spice to the porridge.
- Optional toppings: Strawberries and Roasted Hazelnuts bring a burst of sweet freshness and nuttiness to each bite.
See recipe card for quantities.
1. Soak raw quinoa in cold water for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Rinse and drain soaked quinoa and add to a saucepan with coconut milk.
3. Bring to a boil, then simmer on a low heat for 18 minutes with a lid on.
4. After cooking, add vanilla powder and ground sweet cinnamon.
5. Replace the lid and let it sit for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Your quinoa is now ready to enjoy. Spoon the quinoa into bowls and top with sliced strawberries and roasted hazelnuts if desired.
Hint: Customize your porridge by adding your favourite toppings like shredded coconut or a spoonful of homemade roasted almond butter.
- Chocolate Twist: Add a tablespoon of raw cacao powder to the coconut milk to create an indulgent chocolate flavour. To balance the bitterness of the cacao, experiment with alternative sweeteners such as xylitol or stevia based on your preference.
- Spice it Up: Add a pinch of nutmeg or a sprinkle of chai spice for a spiced variation which pairs beautifully with sliced apple.
- You will simply need a fine mesh sieve for rinsing the quinoa and a stainless steel saucepan for cooking the quinoa.
- Refrigeration: Store any leftover coconut quinoa porridge in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Consume within 2-3 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or on the stovetop, then add your toppings of choice.
✨ Top Tip
Try white quinoa or a mix of white, red, and black for added visual appeal.
Soaking the quinoa first helps to remove phytic acid. Doing so makes quinoa more easily digested. While not essential, it is a beneficial added step. At the very least, ensure that the quinoa is properly rinsed in cold water to remove any bitterness.
More Recipes Like This
Did you love this Coconut Quinoa Porridge? Try one of these recipes next:
Coconut Quinoa Porridge Recipe – Low Carb Breakfast
- 90 g Raw Quinoa
- 200 ml ½ can 50% Fat Coconut Milk
- ⅛ teaspoon Vanilla Powder or ¼ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Sweet Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- Optional toppings:
- 4 Sliced Strawberries 80g
- 60 g Roasted Hazelnuts
- Soak raw quinoa in a bowl of cold water at room temperature for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse the soaked quinoa through a fine mesh sieve.
- Add quinoa to a saucepan and pour in the coconut milk, stirring to combine.
- Bring the milk and quinoa to a boil and then immediately lower the heat and simmer for 18 minutes with a lid on.
- After this time, turn off the heat, add vanilla powder and ground sweet cinnamon. Stir the quinoa, replace the lid, and let it sit for an additional 10 minutes to finish steaming.
- Spoon the quinoa into two bowls and top with sliced strawberries and roasted hazelnuts.